Gelcoat / RepairThe year of production on every Winner Optimist build from 1989 can be seen on the outside stern (back) to the right. An 8-digit EUH number is incraved in the boat. The last four digits is the month and year (mm-yy) of production.
An example: If the boat says "EUH 0965 0401", it is a boat produced in April of 2001.
Please write down this number before contacting us or our dealers.
Standard colour on gunwale and hull:3D STAR off white No. 8008 / 8008
FLEX off white No. 8008 / 8008
RACE off white No. 8003 / 8008
Speciel colours on gunwale / sides:Red No. 2006
Yellow No. 3212
Light Grey No. 8003
Medium Grey No. 8404
Dark Grey No. 8064
Purple No. 7306
Dark Purple No. 7302
Light blue No. 7008
Medium blue No. 7007
Dark blue No. 7006
DenMark 9 White No. 8008 / 8008
DenMark 10 Purple No. 7306 / 8008
DenMark 8 Light Purple No. 7308 / 8008
DenMark11 off white No. 8008 / 8008
DenMark12 off white No. 8008 / 8008
DenMark12Ti Ti Grey No. 90443 / 90443
DenMark 12Ti off white No. 8008 / 8008
On WinnerOptimists from before 1990
"Old" white White No. 0127
Other colours than above can be procured - ask for further details.
REPAIR LOW FRICTION BOTTOM
How to repair small damages?1. The area of damage should be thoroughly cleaned. Loose particles should be scraped or sanded down. Minor damage or scratches need only to be cleaned with acetone.
2. An appropriate amount of gelcoat in the original colour of the boat, should be mixed with 1-2.5% peroxide/hardner. Minimum temperature whilst filling, + 15C
3. Apply gelcoat with a flexible steel trowel and allow to cure for 4-8 hours (depending on temperature).
4. Rub down repaired areas tightly with 120 or 220 grit sandpaperwaterproof, until all uneveness is removed. Finish by lightly sanding with 1000 grade wet sandpaper or a finer grade.
5. If necessary, apply further quantities of gelcoat several times before finishing off with 1000 grade wet sandpaper.
6. Avoid sanding outside of the damaged area as one can easily rub through the coloured surface to expose the uncoloured laminate beneath and therefore increase the area of damage.
7. After sanding down, polish to a mirror finish using a fine rubbing compound and a good wax polish.
IMPORTANT!Stop work when gelcoat begins to harden. Tools should be cleaned with acetone. Store gelcoat and hardener in a cool, dry place. The hardener is very corrosive, use gloves and protective goggles. Be careful with gelcaot/mixtures of hardener making sure they do not come in contact with skin or eyes. In case of accident, seek medical help *Immediately.
STORE OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN! DO NOT ALLOW EMPTY CONTAINERS TO COME INTO THE HANDS OF CHILDREN!